Shop Software & Applications
Find apps and upgrades from GE Healthcare and Partners
Shop Software & Applications
Carestation Insights Lung Protection Ventilation
Carestation Insights Lung Protection Ventilation application supports the implementation of your lung protective ventilation strategy that can reduce post-operative complications by providing the visibility you need to effectively drive change.
Post-operative complications are more common than you may think, especially pulmonary complications. Many of these complications may be prevented with small changes during care in the operating room, such as the way a patient is mechanically ventilated. Mechanical ventilation is an essential supportive therapy during general anesthesia. However, mechanical ventilation may contribute to impaired oxygenation and gas exchange, primarily due to atelectasis. Atelectasis is estimated to occur within minutes of anesthesia induction and can extend into the postoperative period for up to 90% of patients, making it one of the most common complications in the operating room1. This can lead to both health and financial impacts, contributing to an increase in mortality rates in some procedures or increased patient care costs due to the length of stay.
We are seeking ways to support clinicians in solving this problem by providing tools to support the implementation of Lung Protective Ventilation (LPV) strategies. For facilities seeking to implement or maintain an LPV strategy in their ORs, we offer procedures on our anesthesia machines to help (such as built in automated recruitment maneuvers). However, in order to drive the change necessary to gain adoption of your strategy, visibility into its use and effectiveness is required. This is where the Carestation Insights Lung Protective Ventilation application comes into play. One of the challenges we hear from facilities attempting to implement any type of LPV strategy is that they need to know whether the strategy is being used, and if it is working. Leveraging the high-fidelity data from the Aisys CS2 anesthesia machine and analyzing it in the cloud, the Carestation Insights Lung Protective Ventilation application provides a view of ventilation settings used for all of your cases, as well as the intraoperative patient response. This gives a department level view of your LPV strategy utilization and the ability to connect behavior changes to actual results.
The Carestation Insights Lung Protective Ventilation application provides retrospective visibility into various criteria associated with these strategies such as:
- Change in patient lung compliance that occurred during the case.
- Recruitment maneuvers that were performed during the case.
- Ventilation settings used throughout the case and resulting patient measurements, including tidal volume per ideal body weight, driving pressure, PEEP, Pplat, and EtCO2.
- Aggregate information for your department, as well as a case by case view to help find potential outliers.
- A. Güldner et al., Intraoperative protective mechanical ventilation for prevention of postoperative pulmonary complications: a comprehensive review of the role of tidal volume, positive end-expiratory pressure, and lung recruitment maneuvers. Anesthesiology 123, 692-713 (2015).
M. Duggan, B. P. Kavanagh, Pulmonary atelectasis: a pathogenic perioperative entity. Anesthesiology 102, 838-854 (2005).
L. Magnusson, D. R. Spahn, New concepts of atelectasis during general anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 91, 61-72 (2003).
Key features and outcomes:
- Drive adoption of an LPV strategy that may result in reduction of post-operative complications
- Determine effectiveness and adherence to your LPV strategy
- Track your improvement over time
- Gain visibility into the ventilation settings or procedures used during your cases
- Carestation Insights
- Aisys CS2 v11 anesthesia machine